Why Hire A Designer?

How do you promote your website and your blog? Do you have any tips, hints or pointers others can benefit from? Share your thoughts and pick up on others here at IMA's community.

Why Hire A Designer?

Postby Meeko28 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:20 am

Why Hire A Designer?

A lot of online business owners start with no money. They have to do everything themselves -- the preparation of a product, the development of a marketing strategy, the actual building of a website to cater to their product's marketing needs. As their business expands over time, they will find that their simple "homemade" site might not be enough to cover everything, and they will have to take a day or two away to simply dedicate that to the website expansion.

Sounds familiar? Chances are, you're someone who started everything with no money too, so you're pretty skeptical when it comes to giving away your money in exchange for something that you could have done yourself. However, there is a lot more to hiring a designer than just finishing up a job that you don't want to do.

When you hire a web designer to do your job for you, you are doing more than just handing over the "dirty job" to someone else. In fact, by paying a little money, you can let the designer worry about the little annoyances that always evade the main picture and only come haunting when you're halfway through the job. That way, you will be more focused and have more time to spend on your actual business strategy.

On the other hand, the designers you hire a professionals so they are good at what they do. By outsourcing your web design jobs to them, you won't have to worry when problems surface because you can always get them to fix it for you. Again, they will be able to pin point the problem and fix it faster than you probably will be able to.

Also, the work you pay for will turn out more professional than what you can achieve because the designers have been doing it longer than you have. After all, they do it for a living so they have to be good!

So, remember to not just work your business, but grow your business too!
Meeko28

Re: Why Hire A Designer?

Postby limbo » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Hiring a graphic and/or web designer is, most of the times, not cheap at all; but it's worth it if you don't have any experience in that field, as well as if you don't have the time to care about the looks ("That way, you will be more focused and have more time to spend on your actual business strategy"). Nobody uses a website that looks like it was made in an old Dreamweaver version with MS Paint graphics, right?

When I started my first website, I had no experience in either coding nor graphics. I had to stick with pre-made themes and a very lousy header. Over time, though, and probably out of need, I learnt how to use Photoshop and also started learning the basics for coding (HTML, CSS and javascript). It took me a while, but I had the time and was willing to learn. Business owners, on the other hand, probably don't have enough time in their hands since they have to deal with other things.

My advice to anyone looking to hire a web designer would be to look at many portfolios to find the kind of designer you're looking for (there are many). DeviantArt is full of people that make great things.
limbo

Postby krang » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:03 am

I agree that hiring a designer is not cheap, but I also see the necessity of it, especially if the site is successful. Designers these days have multiple things to look out for, not just the looks of the site.

They need to be careful about the feel of the site, the user experience, they need to care about SEO, about responsive design (having sites easily viewable on multiple platforms). All of that is not an easy job and certainly something hard to keep track of if you are not a designer.
krang

Postby crazycroc » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:40 pm

It may not be cheap, but if you consider your other business expenses it is certainly one of the best bang for your buck. I'm sure lots of business people wouldn't question paying several thousand to renovate their storefront but would twitch that idea of doing the same for their online presence.
crazycroc

Postby blindwarrior » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:57 pm

I see too many sites suffering from bad design. If it's awkward to navigate through, people will usually go to another website offering the same thing in a better package. It's also a matter of professionalism, how do you expect to be taken seriously if you're site looks like it's from 1995.
blindwarrior

Postby mz_angie1987 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:39 pm

One would hire a designer to make their site look more professional. I believe it is a great idea, however, it can be costly. Everyone knows starting a business can be expensive and most try to avoid spending a significant amount of money. I would suggest, in lieu of hiring a designer to execute your work for you, I think one should invest in consultation. This may not be the only time one would need a designer so I think one should learn all their is to learn about designing to save money and do it themselves. There are free sites that one can go to learn about graphic design; this is just something I would do.
mz_angie1987

Postby tosaytheleast » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:20 pm

I think the most simple reason why you should hire a designer instead you experimenting is that designer would save you time and would give a work done by a professional and just as what you would exactly want. They take orders and they get it done! That's based on my experience! :D
tosaytheleast

Postby vida_llevares » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:03 am

Why you would hire a designer? Only for the following reasons:

* You don't have the skills.
* You don't have the time.
* You want an excellent output.

Why you should not? For the following reasons:

* You don't have the money.
* You have basic knowledge of web design.
vida_llevares

Postby MoniqueSeibel » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:32 am

I do want to a hirer a proper designer down the road. I know my current design is pretty amateur but it is serving its purpose for now. But this is something I'm working towards doing.
MoniqueSeibel

Postby ironmask » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:01 am

Hiring a designer has an advantage of making your website look a lot better than if you started out on your own. Having said that, designers can be costly so you will have to determine if you can afford one or not.
ironmask

Next

Return to Website and Blog Marketing