What was your first job?

What is on your mind? Share with the IMA community anything and everything you may think of. Join discussions with board members and lets create lasting connections.

What was your first job?

Postby Dill145 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:45 pm

My first job was mowing the lawn. I had a client call me one time to mow his lawn. Me being younger back than and just starting off I gave him one set price that I charged for other people because their yards were not usually big. When I got to this guy's house he had 20 acres of land I had to mow all for just $25. This experience taught me how to market right. Never will I do that again.
Dill145

Re: What was your first job?

Postby mz_angie1987 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Mowing the lawn is a pretty good start. My brothers used to do that along with other young males in the neighborhood. I loved that idea because it kept them occupied while thy earned money. Whenever I have children I think I may get them started in the lawn mowing business as teens, during the summer, to teach them great work ethic and what is actually like to work hard for a buck. My first job was at Walgreens as a cashier when I was 15 years old and I am now 25 so that was quite some time ago. I definitely enjoyed making my own money and in being in control of what I can and cannot buy.
mz_angie1987

Postby tweety23 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:05 am

My first job was working as a landscaper for a summer internship. I was so excited to finally get my first summer job and I got it when was about 17 years old.
tweety23

Postby Hardison » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:32 am

My very first job was as a receptionist at a community non-profit. It was the summer before I went to college. I was able to save money for college.
"Talking ain't doing." --Zoe Washburne from Serenity
Hardison

Postby BigBIgFan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:50 am

Not counting small jobs like mowing the lawn for neighbors or babysitting my first job was actually making donuts part-time. They paid $46 per shift and I could leave when I had made the amount they needed so on some days that meant being done in 3 hours. Back then that was a lot of money too, especially for a 14 year old.

I felt rich, needless to say I wasn't and somehow I ended up spending most of my money on my friends, bringing them to movies or to play miniput etc. Good times though, spending money and not a care in the world.
Work: Texaco, Hobbies: Collecting diecast farm equipment, Travel: Everywhere!
BigBIgFan

Postby etc » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:36 pm

I was first working on assembly line where the company makes japanese cabinets for exports, these cabinets are those that can be disassemble and assemble. Later I work as a transcriber of depositions of courts and then learn internet since working as a transcriber needs access to internet.

Some companies online hire transcribers, anyone is into it?
etc

Postby deansaliba » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:37 pm

I left school with qualifications that were not worth the paper they were written on so my first proper job was a school cleaner, a job I managed to hang onto for about six months before they kicked me out. I was 18 and didn't want to work.

Not the worst job I've had, that would bee working for a company called Informa as a market researcher. The only job I used to try and get run over on the way in so I wouldn't have to face another day there.
deansaliba

Postby Barry.Lejieg » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:31 pm

I used to work as a truck loader when I was only 14 years old. I know is too young but I had to work. Anyway, the products I use to load on trucks were not so heave so it wasn't very difficult. While many of you may consider this as a bad job, I actually like it, I like doing physical jobs, especially now when most of the time I work on PC.
Barry.Lejieg

Postby shdws » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:00 am

My first job was as a telemarketer. God I hated it lol. But it was a good learning experience and helped me decide early on that I wanted to be an entrepreneur.
shdws

Postby BigBIgFan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:31 am

Yikes, I'd never take up telemarketing just because I would get tired of the rejection and would worry that I was turning into a jerk just to get sales. That job isn't for me.

My 2nd job was more interesting than my first actually. Rebuilding vacuum cleaners for Electrolux, they don't make them like that anymore.
Work: Texaco, Hobbies: Collecting diecast farm equipment, Travel: Everywhere!
BigBIgFan

Next

Return to Everything Else