Profile of Online Surfer

The Internet Marketing world is constantly changing. Stay up to date with the latest trends and keep engaged with internet marketing related topics from our community.

Profile of Online Surfer

Postby vida_llevares » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Does anybody have a study or data on demographics or profile of the online surfer? So that I could use it as reference in planning for my online marketing strategies.
vida_llevares

Re: Profile of Online Surfer

Postby Hardison » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:23 am

Demographics will vary according to your niche. A good place to start is www.quantcast.com
Alexa also provides great info too.
"Talking ain't doing." --Zoe Washburne from Serenity
Hardison

Postby Waynefire » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 am

You can also use Google Insights to help you out as well. I know that I have used this before to get the information that I have used to get traffic to my sites as well.
Waynefire

Postby Prosper » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:59 am

It really depends on your niche. Maybe post a little bit more info about that?
But I would start by looking at most popular Google searches and Youtube videos. I started that way and it's doing well for me still.
Prosper

Postby tommymac » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:53 pm

You're asking about something that is incredibly general. You're going to have to narrow your focus a little. Focus on the profiles of the sort of online surfers you are trying to attract. Once you can answer that, we might be able to help you a little more.
tommymac

Postby themdno » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:21 am

The demographics and the profile of the online surfer encompass almost every different type of human being on the planet. Typically, we can guess that younger people are more technologically adept, so they usually would have a stronger online presence in most studies, but that wouldn't always be the case. Take a look at the demographic you think the overall niche fits into, and online should be very similar.
themdno

Postby ondonveple » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:30 am

No, but I am sure you can find something on google.com
ondonveple

Postby OhioTom76 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Are you talking about people who are online regularly vs. people who are hardly online or not at all? Or are you talking about profiles of people online with relation to a specific topic or niche. I'm sure there are ad agencies out there who have demographic data for people offline, but they probably charge a pretty penny for it. There are online services to help you learn about the demographics of people online, and many of them charge as well and are only giving you data on a limited set of people they are monitoring, so they aren't incredibly accurate either. For example, Alexa's data is based only off of people who use the Alexa toolbar in their browser.
OhioTom76

Postby vida_llevares » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Yeah. Like who are the people who are often online? What time are they usually online? Do they belong to class A or to class C?
vida_llevares

Postby BigBIgFan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:18 pm

No two sites will share identical demographics, that's one of the beautiful ways in which the net operates. If you run a comic book forum you are unlikely to get rich 50+ year old women on your forum but if you start a cooking forum or style forum, watch out!

Quantcast and Compete offer a solid sampling but to know what your site has then you need analytics or other tracking software installed.
Work: Texaco, Hobbies: Collecting diecast farm equipment, Travel: Everywhere!
BigBIgFan

Return to Internet Marketing