Paying for signature links?

The keywords, the content, the links and the rankings...where do you start first? Find out what other SEO experts and beginners talk about to learn more.

Paying for signature links?

Postby blindwarrior » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Have you tried it out? Did you see a boost from it?
I saw some people renting out their signature on SEOclerk, the prices weren't to bad considering the fact that they had 2000-3000 posts under their belt. I was curious though how effective is this? I read somewhere that Google will start ignoring links after a while if they keep pointing to the same address.
blindwarrior

Re: Paying for signature links?

Postby Jessi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:24 pm

Most signature links are "no-follow" links, so Google is already more or less ignoring most of them.

The thing about signature links, though, is that *real people* are seeing them. If there are 2-3k posts, that's thousands of chances for every single person that stumbles across that site to potentially see the link and maybe click it. For that sake, yes, it can be worth paying for sig links, especially if that person is well-known and respected on the forum.
Jessi

Postby etc » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:47 pm

There are few forums allowing users to have dofollow signature links though and I saw great impact on traffic everytime I will try to add my link to such forum especially if its a forum related to my websites niche. By replying to some concerns which you know you're good at, it sure can make people click it.
etc

Postby krang » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:23 pm

I think the main thing you can gain from a forum signature is traffic for your site, rather than SEO value. Forum sigs hold little SEO value, so in my mind having your sigs point to your site is enough.

When you want traffic from forum signatures, an important thing to look out for, except post count, is also the posting frequency and reputation of the person whose signature you "rent".
krang

Postby Kant » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Signature links don't give much SEO benefit nowadays unless done on an extremely large scale and even then you probably need other kinds of links. Buying sig links for SEO doesn't really make sense anymore because of this unless you get them really cheap and they are relevant. If you are buying links on relevant forums for direct clicks, that is another story though- in that case depending on your niche it could pay off.
Kant

Postby Hardison » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:10 am

Jessi wrote:Most signature links are "no-follow" links, so Google is already more or less ignoring most of them.

The thing about signature links, though, is that *real people* are seeing them. If there are 2-3k posts, that's thousands of chances for every single person that stumbles across that site to potentially see the link and maybe click it. For that sake, yes, it can be worth paying for sig links, especially if that person is well-known and respected on the forum.

This is the single best reason to pay for signature. The higher the post count, the more valuable the signature space. I do belong to a forum where people regularly buy signature space. You need to upgrade your membership status before you can have a link in your signature.
"Talking ain't doing." --Zoe Washburne from Serenity
Hardison

Postby BigBIgFan » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:06 am

I run several forums and I don't let Googlebot or guests see signatures. I'd love to allow them however services like the one you describe make that problematic for my rankings, it only takes one bad apple in the bunch to ruin the party.

I'd sell my signature however, so long as I find some value in the site being promoted.
Work: Texaco, Hobbies: Collecting diecast farm equipment, Travel: Everywhere!
BigBIgFan

Postby Jessi » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:57 pm

BigBIgFan wrote:I run several forums and I don't let Googlebot or guests see signatures. I'd love to allow them however services like the one you describe make that problematic for my rankings, it only takes one bad apple in the bunch to ruin the party.

How so?

Signature links are usually no-follow links, so it's not like Google is reading them to judge your site. And why does it matter if guests see them?
Jessi

Postby limbo » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Maybe they're not really useful as backlinks, but for views. As @Jessi mentioned, they're seen by real people, who will most likely be willing to click on the link because they trust the poster (if you have 2k-3k posts in a forum, you're no stranger).

I have never paid for sig links, but I have been paid to place links in some of my signatures, in different sites. It was easy money; I already had lots of posts, so all I needed to do was place the links, and then keep posting as I usually did.
limbo

Postby thesony » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:21 pm

I wonder if google will penalize you for it by dropping your rankings, i'm kind of afraid of that. but it is good if people will see your link on a forum and click on it.
thesony

Next

Return to Search Engine Optimization