Optimize existing content or creating more content?

Whether you are paying for traffic or not, knowing the basics about search engine marketing is a must for any internet marketer - get the facts and share your stories here.

Optimize existing content or creating more content?

Postby Vash » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:09 pm

If you have only limited time and resources, would you spend them on optimize existing content for better SERP/traffic or would you spend the same amount of effort to create some more fresh content?

Well certainly both can yield more traffic for your web site, but which one will have better results?

If you pick the first choice, how would you optimize your existing content? What would you do to improve it?
Vash

Re: Optimize existing content or creating more content?

Postby Hardison » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:30 pm

I would spend my time creating more content. When I write content, I give it my best. I'm not really sure what you mean by optimizing content. My goal is to put as much content on the web in places that will drive traffic back to my blog or other lead generation sites.
"Talking ain't doing." --Zoe Washburne from Serenity
Hardison

Postby Bloominternet » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Perhaps my answer is obvious, but we must achieve a balance between new content and one that needs to be updated. An interesting idea is to create new content and link it in some way and another with the material that we created in the past. In this way we ensure that both alternatives are available for new visitors and create a flow of visits appropriate for the content of our site. How? There are many different ways to generate the interaction between content created by us, but the important thing is that this results in an engaging experience for the reader / visitor. :)
Bloominternet

Postby Vash » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:38 am

Ok, what I said about the "optimize existing content" mean

1. Edit and improve existing articles.
Certainly not all articles we wrote are "perfect" even in our own eyes. Many things can be improved, including adding more details, or making overall article a better article.

2. On page SEO
Well I don't need to explain this part, right?

3. Creating more quality backlinks

All of the above can attract more traffic for your older content, but they will take time. The same amount of time you spend on the things above can be used to create fresh new content which in return can also get more traffic for your site. This is why I am asking, which one will give better results in term of gain your site more traffic.
Vash

Postby Hardison » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:16 am

Even though I have perfectionist tendencies, I don't go back over my old content. I let it be. I mostly focus on creating new content or turning existing content into a different format. I will turn a written article into a video and podcast. I also take snippets of article content and use them as tweets. I also combine several blog posts and turn them into a free report or ebook to help me grow my list or add extra value to my list.

So in a way, I do optimize my content by turning it various forms. I don't tweak content on my site once it's done unless I find some spelling or obvious grammar mistake.
"Talking ain't doing." --Zoe Washburne from Serenity
Hardison

Postby MyDigitalpoint » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:58 am

Personally I would invest in adding more content than in optimizing old content.

SEO can be learned with a little patience, and since there is no rush to have updated already published and indexed content, one can take all the time to do such optimization oneself.
This signature is under construction
MyDigitalpoint

Postby Vash » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:53 pm

So you guys all recommend to add new content instead of tweak old content.

What if the old content is less than ideal?
Some of my articles got indexed and appeared on the first a few pages of SERP within a few days, while others couldn't be found anywhere after longer time. I wonder if I could have duplicate the success of some high ranking articles and make the rest of the articles also rank higher in order to get more traffic.

Most of my articles are related, because after all they are within the same niche. I'd like people to read all of them.
Vash

Postby bauss » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:16 pm

I always edit and optimize my existing content, if it needs to be done, because when I first started building my site, my SEO skills weren't that great, and I learn with experience. It's also important to create new content, because then you can get new pages that are indexed my google, and you should always be adding more content on your website.
bauss

Postby Barry.Lejieg » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:37 pm

More content it's always better. The old content has been already indexed by the search engines and it will be maybe more difficult to re-index it than to index new content.

New content on the other hand, it's even preferred by the search engines it self, I read an article from them saying that new content it's one of the top factors for ranking.
Barry.Lejieg

Postby appleannie123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:42 am

I think both ways would be effective in driving new traffic to a site. But, if I had to choose between one of them, I think I would choose to add new stuff to my site. Maybe, I would remove some of the stuff that was not effective.
appleannie123

Next

Return to Search Engine Marketing