New sites vs new content on old sites

Getting that affiliate commission is much easier with the IMA community on your side. Speak your mind, share your ideas and visions with other affiliate marketers.

New sites vs new content on old sites

Postby BigBIgFan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:24 am

What ratio do you try to achieve when planning out your content creation time? Do you just write where it feels right or do you actively try to plan out your time?

Personally I try to write one article per day for my existing sites and create one new site per month on related subjects that interest me. Of course that means I have to create one extra article every day month after month but I balance that out by writing less for sites that aren't receiving as much traffic from search or seem to be struggling in some way.

The rest of my time, unfortunately, is spent either link building or relationship building with other webmasters.

What's your plan?
Work: Texaco, Hobbies: Collecting diecast farm equipment, Travel: Everywhere!
BigBIgFan

Re: New sites vs new content on old sites

Postby Wickerman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Unless the old site is absolutely dead, I will go with new content on old sites.
Wickerman

Postby etc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:46 pm

New contents on old sites. I've rather develop the old one than make a new one. I will have more sites in the end which I have to maintain and keep paying its domain. If its an old site that has been abandon for months, maybe redesigning it and then adding contents from time to time will work.
etc

Postby SamSelim » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:22 am

etc wrote:New contents on old sites. I've rather develop the old one than make a new one. I will have more sites in the end which I have to maintain and keep paying its domain. If its an old site that has been abandon for months, maybe redesigning it and then adding contents from time to time will work.

Not to mention that you have already put in the work getting traffic into your old site, why start over without traffic on a new website. If the old one is still "alive", keep pushing it further and the new content along with the possible redesigns will give more life to the site, keep it thriving and possible bring in new traffic.

I personally don't like the idea of redesigning a website from time to time as I personally get frustrated with websites that do that and force me to have to get accustomed to their new designs. Though I would agree with you only if it was as you said, already abandoned for months
SamSelim

Postby BigBIgFan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:00 pm

But is it safe to have just one site when there are Pandas and Penguins roaming around and nobody knows for sure why they attack?

It seems that if you have 2-3 sites you are a little more likely to see an attack but it's not going to hurt as much in terms of total traffic lost if you are spread out between multiple sites.

Decisions, decisions...
Work: Texaco, Hobbies: Collecting diecast farm equipment, Travel: Everywhere!
BigBIgFan

Postby Hardison » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:20 pm

I actively plan out my content writing time. I spend one day writing a couple of weeks worth of content for my blog. I drip feed my content. I don't want to get behind on the content of my blog so I just do it all at once. I rank high with my blog and I don't want to slip so I stay on top of my content.

I schedule my other content throughout the week. Content for web 2.0 properties, videos and podcasts. This content is based on my blog post so I'm not starting from scratch which makes it easier to create.
"Talking ain't doing." --Zoe Washburne from Serenity
Hardison

Postby SamSelim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:09 am

Bigbigfan, I was actually just going to suggest what Hardison wrote and then saw that he had posted exactly what I was going to say specifically to you.
Why don't you just write in "chunks" and post over time rather than spread out your actual writing work over every day? If for any reason you fall behind in your writing, your blog may take a hit for it. If you write in chunks, you're always prepared for "today's post" and "tomorrows post" and however long in advance your write for when you do your chunk of writing.
SamSelim

Postby Barry.Lejieg » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:33 am

I usually stick with 1-2 articles per day. The thing is I have many content websites and therefore I usually update them once a week, one each day.
Barry.Lejieg

Postby Vash » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:25 am

Unless the new content is of a different niche, I do not believe it is necessary to start an all new web site when you already have one old site of the same niche.

Of course, if your old site is penalized/sandboxed and you can't get it out of that, then starting a new site might be a good idea.

There is absolutely no reason to have two sites of the same niche unless you really want to have more sites for the sake of more sites.

Old sites are already established at least better than the site you haven't started yet. So putting content on old sites will get indexed faster.

Personally, I'd rather have one web site with 200 articles than having 10 web sites with 20 articles each.
Vash

Postby DarkRepulser » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:45 pm

You want to put new content on old sites, Google give you an extra edge on your rankings because you're still updating your aged domain. Aged domains tend to get higher authority thus ranking your website higher up in Google's search results.
DarkRepulser

Next

Return to Affiliate Marketing