Mistakes To Avoid When Using Web Templates

The Internet Marketing world is constantly changing. Stay up to date with the latest trends and keep engaged with internet marketing related topics from our community.

Postby Meeko28 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Website templates are very affordable and they save you a lot of effort and time when you want to create a new layout for your website. However, a lot of people make mistakes in the process of choosing and using a web template and end up with something that was unlike the image they had in mind. Here are some guidelines to help you avoid those mistakes.

The first obvious mistake you should be aware of is using a template that is very popular. If many people use the same template, your website will not appear unique at all and your credibility as a solid, different website will be tarnished. In other words, you will appear generic just like your next-door neighbours.

To whole point of using a web template is to save time and effort. You just change the title and appropriate details and you're done. The biggest mistake one makes is to customize the template beyond recognisation. While that may be good in the sense that you're creating a unique graphic, you're defying the very purpose of using a web template -- saving time and effort.

However, on the opposite side, if a template you purchase is suitable but some changes must be made to suit your site's theme, then you will have to take some time to make the changes. For example, you can find a very nice template that suits your hobby site except the original designer has put an image of stamps in the header. You can find images of garden plants and spades to replace the stamps for your gardening hobby site. However, do only make the necessary changes and don't redesign the whole template.

In some circumstances, some people simply make the wrong choice of templates. This is a very subjective issue but you have to be careful in selecting templates to suit your audience. Do not choose templates just because they are pretty, choose them because they serve your purpose.
Meeko28

Re: Mistakes To Avoid When Using Web Templates

Postby limbo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:48 pm

That's a pretty good article! Most webmasters go for pre-made themes because they don't have the time or graphic/coding knowledge to make their own. I prefer to start off with a pre-made theme and then customize it to get the outcome I want. I don't mind spending time on that.
limbo

Postby Jessi » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:38 pm

However, on the opposite side, if a template you purchase is suitable but some changes must be made to suit your site's theme, then you will have to take some time to make the changes. For example, you can find a very nice template that suits your hobby site except the original designer has put an image of stamps in the header. You can find images of garden plants and spades to replace the stamps for your gardening hobby site. However, do only make the necessary changes and don't redesign the whole template.

You're right. Doing simple changes will help your site be unique and customized. To completely redesign the site would be silly, though. That would take too much time and you might as well not use the template at all.
Jessi

Postby bakerpat » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:13 pm

I am just learning to use templates. It has been a little overwhelming for me, I thought the idea of the template was to save time. The one I used had some images that I did not want, I deleted them which left holes in the site. I would like to know how to fix that.
bakerpat

Postby limbo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:29 pm

bakerpat wrote:I am just learning to use templates. It has been a little overwhelming for me, I thought the idea of the template was to save time. The one I used had some images that I did not want, I deleted them which left holes in the site. I would like to know how to fix that.

I can help you out if you want. What's the link to your site?
limbo

Postby tosaytheleast » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Well I do edit my templates but I am not an expert. I have learned simple codes from a friend. Before I would just go for cheap web templates but I realized that this thing is just simple to do if I learn it so that's what I did. The advantage of knowing how to edit your own website's template is that you put your own touch on it. So you are basically getting exactly what you like to have.
tosaytheleast

Postby Jessi » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:33 pm

bakerpat wrote:I am just learning to use templates. It has been a little overwhelming for me, I thought the idea of the template was to save time. The one I used had some images that I did not want, I deleted them which left holes in the site. I would like to know how to fix that.

Instead of simply deleting them, you should replace those areas with pictures that you *do* want to use. If you don't want anything at all showing there, then it might be best to create an image that is the same color as your background and the size of the previous image....then it'll blend in as though it's the main background still.
Jessi

Postby BigBIgFan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:48 am

It's also ok to remove sections of code in the template file, it won't affect site security. Just make sure not to remove the login link or some other vital function because visitors won't like their experience on your site. Remember, forum software is built to include all features by default but that doesn't mean you need to use them all.
Work: Texaco, Hobbies: Collecting diecast farm equipment, Travel: Everywhere!
BigBIgFan

Postby Beacon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:07 pm

I do think it is important to make sure that the template really relates to your theme or niche. A simple, generic template is better than a theme template that doesn't quite relate to your theme or niche.

Also, to make sure the text is easy to read but making sure it is large enough - 12 or 14 font size. Most people just scan, rather than read, so my suggestion is to write the text in short paragraphs. Also, make sure that the text is in a font that is easy to read.

Too many graphics and animations can actually be distracting and annoying. Finding the right balance of an intriguing and yet, not overwhelming template is important.
Beacon

Postby ShamarV8 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:59 am

I also prefer templates over design websites from scratch. I think the best part about templates is that I can use the same template for multiple clients, but minor changes to each can make them easily stand out and not look the same.
ShamarV8

Next

Return to Internet Marketing