How much do you earn in writing for others?

Content is what makes the web-world go round, so getting the right knowledge about article and content marketing down is what you need to succeed.

How much do you earn in writing for others?

Postby tosaytheleast » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:55 am

Just curious about how much the other writers earn in writing for others. How much would you charge for a 500 word article of any niche? I charge mine for $5-$8 and I'm happy that most of my clients are happy with it. How about you guys?
tosaytheleast

Re: How much do you earn in writing for others?

Postby Kant » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 pm

I haven't written articles for anyone in a while as I try to focus on my websites nowadays if I want to increase my online revenue. Back when I did though, I used to blog regularly for a few sites for anywhere from 2 to 4 cents per word. Made a good amount over a summer doing that for a few websites.
Kant

Postby Jessi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:08 am

I charge about the same. I prefer on the higher side of that, of course, and if it's for a good client, I charge more because they'll get better quality. If it's just some BS site that is obviously going to use the content on a scam site, then I don't bother to put in much effort and don't expect to get paid that much.
Jessi

Postby krang » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:54 am

When I started working online I did make around 3$ for 500 word articles, but when I saw what articles from other people look like within that price range, I realized I should absolutely charge higher :).

But I did not do too much writing work for clients after that, though I am interested in giving it another go if I can write on topic I know how to write about.
krang

Postby thesony » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:19 pm

A few weeks ago hated the idea of writing articles (I dont like writing although i can), but I recently got some motivation running head long into it, and then I said why not focus on building my own website and get my friend to write for me (since he loves to write stuff). I would charge charge about 4-5 dollars for 500 words.
thesony

Postby BigBIgFan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:17 am

I used to charge between $5 and $10 when I started out but I quickly realized that it was more profitable to work with a well known and respected brand by the project or a bi-weekly wage. The articles were much more detailed, required research and had a copywriter checking your facts and such. In the long run however the most profitable articles are those I write for my own site(s) and hold onto forever.
Work: Texaco, Hobbies: Collecting diecast farm equipment, Travel: Everywhere!
BigBIgFan

Postby Jessi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:24 pm

BigBIgFan wrote: I quickly realized that it was more profitable to work with a well known and respected brand by the project or a bi-weekly wage. The articles were much more detailed, required research and had a copywriter checking your facts and such.

That's ideal. How do you get hired on for a job like that, though? It doesn't seem easy to get on board with a company like that.
Jessi

Postby MoniqueSeibel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm just getting into writing for others, so I'm not sure what is fair to charge. I don't think I could take less than $5.00, because it just wouldn't be worth the time and effort involved. But then I'm also not that experienced with article writing, so I don't know if I should charge less.
MoniqueSeibel

Postby vida_llevares » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:31 pm

It depends on a lot of areas: your reputation, the type of article, the length, the lead time. Technical articles usually cost more than usual business or general information articles. The longer the articles, the higher is the charge usually. Articles that need to be submitted in a rush can also have a higher price tag.
vida_llevares

Postby Shell323 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:27 pm

I tend to write for employers that have a set pay scale. I don't usually freelance my article writing, mostly because I'm not positive what to charge myself. I've always felt that once I have built up a nice set of articles to submit as samples I would be able to command a higher price.
Shell323

Next

Return to Article and Content Marketing