For bloggers who allow guest posts

How do you promote your website and your blog? Do you have any tips, hints or pointers others can benefit from? Share your thoughts and pick up on others here at IMA's community.

For bloggers who allow guest posts

Postby boyuancy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:34 pm

I just found this:

http://www.problogger.net/archives/2013 ... d-in-2013/

For those who do not have the time to go through it, it basically says that Google Panda update #24 will penalize blogs that allows guest posts. The way the blogger puts it in the first paragraph makes complete sense (you'll have to read the article for it).

But read the name of the poster of the blog post and I bet you'll die laughing. :lol:
boyuancy

Re: For bloggers who allow guest posts

Postby Barry.Lejieg » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:28 am

I don't understand why someone would write in the title Guest Post. Don't you want to make your visitors like your content provided by you, not content provided by some other website? For me this is no concern since I don't usually allow guest blogging.
Barry.Lejieg

Postby BigBIgFan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:06 pm

That article goes out on a tangent and assumes quite a few things.

Fact: Eric Schmidt writes in his new book that if you do not provide authorship for your pages you will languish in obscurity and rank more poorly. He should know, he's Google's CEO.

Fact: Guest posts are rarely properly set up to give authorship to the guest poster, even if the site has authorship markup... which most do not.

Fact: Anonymous is not something the government wants online anymore either, it's a war now.

So, it's not that you allow guest posts, it's that you don't give them proper authorship that will be the problem.
Work: Texaco, Hobbies: Collecting diecast farm equipment, Travel: Everywhere!
BigBIgFan

Postby BigBIgFan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:19 pm

Sorry for the double post here but I have two trains of thought on this topic, the second involves forums.

Lets extrapolate Google's thinking here, where anonymous is bad, then what the heck does that mean for forums?

Forums are a great way to share ideas and solutions but what webmaster will want to run one if Google refuses to rank them very well because everyone on it is anonymous.
Work: Texaco, Hobbies: Collecting diecast farm equipment, Travel: Everywhere!
BigBIgFan

Postby Bloominternet » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:18 pm

This is a controversial topic. Each blogging platform has its rules and operating guidelines, but there are certain conditions that pose a clear limitation of the possibility of free expression. I think in this case there must be room for nuance. It may be possible to remove the guest post on sites dedicated to sensitive topics (health, politics, sexuality) and remove this absurd restriction in sites of art or entertainment. Of course in this regard is still no definite rules. Right now I'm going to start reading the article that you shared, maybe I arrived at a different conclusion. :roll:
Bloominternet

Postby shdws » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:20 am

This part of the article illustrates why I have a love/hate relationship with Google.

" What you say: Sure, I would love to accept a well written article from you that relates to my blog. I am ok if you add only a couple of links in the author bio.
What Google hears: If you tell people (i.e. SEO Companies) they can give you something for free (i.e. an article) in exchange for a link, it violates our link scheme guidelines."
shdws

Postby appleannie123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:51 am

I am not sure I would want a guest blogger on my blog. It would not feel like it is my blog. I think I want my blog to be my blog. You know, I would not want someone coming in and taking authorship of my blog. It would feel like it was the other person's blog, or that I had to share the blog with this other person. I do not share very well.
appleannie123

Postby OhioTom76 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 pm

This is why I have become more uncomfortable with using services such as Gravatar, which essentially follows you around to all the sites you participate in, to automatically add your avatar. It would be so easy for a company like Google to make the connection, even if you were signing up to the sites with different usernames.
OhioTom76

Postby deansaliba » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:04 am

I believe the reason why the author name is "Guest Blogger" is because Darren Rowse (the owner of the blog) is a bit too busy with his other business interests to set up individual user accounts for everybody who submit posts, I stopped doing this myself about a year ago, it is more work making sure people don't abuse it but it looks better.
deansaliba

Return to Website and Blog Marketing