Do you use a single style or multiple styles in writing?

Content is what makes the web-world go round, so getting the right knowledge about article and content marketing down is what you need to succeed.

Do you use a single style or multiple styles in writing?

Postby Vash » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:44 pm

When you write articles for your own blog or web site, do you use a single writing style for different articles or do you try to diversify?

Which one is better for a blog? The same writing style or many different styles of articles?
Vash

Re: Do you use a single style or multiple styles in writing?

Postby boyuancy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:42 pm

I have been told that readers connect with their writers from their writing style and I, as a reader, have also noticed this. I follow a few blogs and it would be weird if a blogger who blogs in a formal tone would suddenly go funny.

For a single blog, use the same tone and style. If you want to stretch it across multiple blogs, you can do that too, maybe with a little variation...
boyuancy

Postby JohnSword » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:50 am

Having multiple styles of writing on a single site tends to confuse your target audience in my opinion. I always identify my primary and secondary audience and set the appropriate tone for my site beforehand. Consistency is key to building a loyal following.
JohnSword

Postby Joshd1990pl » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:47 pm

At first, I experiment. Then, whatever I find works best, I repeat over and over.
Test
Test
Test
Test
Commit!
Joshd1990pl

Postby Vash » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:10 pm

Well, it makes sense that some repeat visitors might like a single style of writing.

But what about those blogs with more than one writers? And those blogs buy articles?
It is hard to have the same style of writing if you don't write all of them yourself. Or are you suggesting those blogs are not doing well? Unless they edit all articles into the same writing style before publishing?
Vash

Postby boyuancy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Vash wrote:Unless they edit all articles into the same writing style before publishing?

I think they do, or at least, they stick to a format so it looks like one person has been writing it all. I can't remember any blogs sadly but...

I know WAHAdventures.com has more than one writers and the site is very popular within its niche. Try checking it out and see if it helps.
boyuancy

Postby jeannie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:27 am

Vash wrote:When you write articles for your own blog or web site, do you use a single writing style for different articles or do you try to diversify?

Which one is better for a blog? The same writing style or many different styles of articles?

Based on my experience as a writer for my own sites as well as for others as a freelance writer, I have the experience of using different writing styles successfully. I do not know the technical terms for those styles, of course! :)

For my own sites and blogs, as I had many over these years, I have used different styles and have experimented with them. Chiefly, I have used the technical writing style and the casual writing style where ever they were needed. For a single site or blog, I almost never change the style. It helps the site visitors and readers to associate with your thought process much better when you have a single style of writing, or change that style only a little bit when the article demands it.

For example, I write in a very casual style on my blog, do not use jargon or keep to the the AMA, APA, MLA, or other such guidelines. But of course, I avoid plagiarism and also give citations wherever they are required. But the overall style remains unchanged on a blog. I follow all rules when I am writing technical articles or am writing for clients.

HTH
jeannie

Return to Article and Content Marketing