Creating Compelling Headlines

How do you promote your website and your blog? Do you have any tips, hints or pointers others can benefit from? Share your thoughts and pick up on others here at IMA's community.

Postby vida_llevares » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Considering the type of readers who frequently visit blogs, how do I create headlines that will lure them in?
vida_llevares

Re: Creating Compelling Headlines

Postby 72gold72 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:24 am

It depends on your topic, you can make your headline a question or just what the main point is about. Like I said it depends what your topic is. If you need help with a specific article you have I can then help more. :)
72gold72

Postby Waynefire » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Like was already mentioned it depends on the topic of your blog. For example, if you are coloring hair on the blog then you would want to do a list or tips on how to find the perfect hair color. However, it all depends on your target audience!
Waynefire

Postby Bloominternet » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:31 pm

I'm going to share with you an article written by Brian Clark (founder of Copyblogger) dealing with this subject. I copy a small bit, but you can find it in Google with the title "How to Write Magnetic Headlines":

Your headline is the first, and perhaps only, impression you make on a prospective reader. Without a compelling promise that turns a browser into a reader, the rest of your words may as well not even exist. So, from a copywriting and content marketing standpoint, writing great headlines is a critical skill. Remember, every element of compelling copy has just one purpose — to get the next sentence read. And then the sentence after that, and so on, all the way down to your call to action. So it’s fairly obvious that if people stop at the headline, you’re already dead in the water. The better your headline, the better your odds of beating the averages and getting what you’ve written read by a larger percentage of people.

I hope it is useful for your target. :D
Bloominternet

Postby vida_llevares » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Bloominternet wrote:I'm going to share with you an article written by Brian Clark (founder of Copyblogger) dealing with this subject. I copy a small bit, but you can find it in Google with the title "How to Write Magnetic Headlines":

Your headline is the first, and perhaps only, impression you make on a prospective reader. Without a compelling promise that turns a browser into a reader, the rest of your words may as well not even exist. So, from a copywriting and content marketing standpoint, writing great headlines is a critical skill. Remember, every element of compelling copy has just one purpose — to get the next sentence read. And then the sentence after that, and so on, all the way down to your call to action. So it’s fairly obvious that if people stop at the headline, you’re already dead in the water. The better your headline, the better your odds of beating the averages and getting what you’ve written read by a larger percentage of people.

I hope it is useful for your target. :D

Yes. I agree. This is true. I am just looking for more specific tips.
vida_llevares

Postby catblue » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:47 pm

You create compelling headlines in many ways. Your goal, of course is the grab the attention of the viewer. So, alliteration is a tried and true method. It simply means using words that start with the same letter or sound and you have already done it with your headline:

Here are some other examples:

Perfectly Proper Ways to Succeed in Business
Modern Marvels that Save you Time and Money

You get the idea. It adds a bit of zip when being read and can attract the eye.
catblue

Postby Hardison » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:23 am

I keep a swipe file of headline and copy that attracts me or that I find interesting. I also look at other blogs for inspiration. A great copywriting book is Cashvertising by Drew Eric Whitman. It a goldmine of very effective copy.
"Talking ain't doing." --Zoe Washburne from Serenity
Hardison

Postby BigBIgFan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:11 am

Headlines are a two step process.

You need to create titles that are accurate and give visitors a good idea of what to expect but you also need to write them in a compelling way so that they get the click if they are top ranked.

I've seen countless #2, #3, #4 ranked articles get me much more traffic than the first place gets. GWT tell you a page's impressions and CTR rate, if a page is important to you and getting less than 5% CTR in Google then consider changing the title a little bit (nothing drastic).
Work: Texaco, Hobbies: Collecting diecast farm equipment, Travel: Everywhere!
BigBIgFan

Postby deansaliba » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 am

I've been doing this since 2007 and I still struggle to come up with catchy titles to draw in the readers. At the moment I just tell people what the post is about, for example yesterday I wrote an article about email marketing tips for beginners, it had 3 of them in it so I titled the post "3 Email Marketing Tips for New Bloggers". :)
deansaliba

Postby OhioTom76 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:46 pm

Usually a question, followed by some call to action is the most effective way to write headlines. The reason being that it engages the viewer by making them think for a moment. I also like to write all my headlines by capitalizing the first letter of every word (unless its a brand term or acronym with a specific type of capitalization), since it makes the headline look more prominent.
OhioTom76

Next

Return to Website and Blog Marketing