Adbrite is shutting down

Lead generation has never been easier with so many internet marketing avenues to go with. SEO, PPC, Social Media - do you know what works for you, and why?

Adbrite is shutting down

Postby Vash » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 am

Does anyone here use Adbrite?

I do...unfortunately...
To my surprise, I just received the following email a moment ago,

Dear adBrite Publisher,

Over the last few weeks, adBrite and its management have been evaluating the go-forward plan for the business. Given market conditions and certain financial liabilities, in working with our lenders, we have decided to cease operations on Feb 1, 2013.

This is a difficult decision for all of us at adBrite. However, after much deliberation this seems to be the best course of action despite the impact it will have on all the employees, clients and partners who helped build this business. There will be a team in place as needed to assist with winding down.

Thank you for being part of the adBrite community.
The adBrite Team

So basically they suddenly to shut everything down in 3 days... could have told us earlier. We could have prepared it better.

Have you ever had similar experience with another ad network?
Vash

Re: Adbrite is shutting down

Postby BigBIgFan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:37 am

Yes, I have had an experience with other adsense alternatives. Adtoll got me when I had invested the time in giving them three sites of mine exclusively. I wasn't making a fortune with them but it still stinks when you need to update 450 pages of html by hand because you converted the site to static from wordpress :)

It would have taken just as long to set up the wordpress install again though so, ah well. Lesson learned. I'd be worried about collecting your final payment, they made no mention of it and you'd think they would have re-assured you about that in the email.
Work: Texaco, Hobbies: Collecting diecast farm equipment, Travel: Everywhere!
BigBIgFan

Postby deansaliba » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:56 am

This came as a bolt out of the blue but apparently when the CEO came on board in April 2012 he was told that his first task was to "prepare the business for sale". Apparently nobody could raise the required amount so they are selling the company off in bits, so we might get an email from another advertising network soon who has brought the publisher list.

I wonder what will happen to the money we are owed? I'm only owed about $40 but I know of at least four other people who are due a few hundred and were deliberately saving it up. Are we all to just wave goodbye to it?
deansaliba

Postby BigBIgFan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:01 am

Do you have much choice? 3 days warning isn't a whole lot of time.

I doubt they sold anything off in bits because they don't mention being bought out and by saying you're closing you will essentially drive everyone away leaving you with nothing anyway.

Right now people have already started switching their ads since they don't suspect they'll get paid. Too bad Obama didn't think they were "too big to fail" and now adsense has one less competitor.
Work: Texaco, Hobbies: Collecting diecast farm equipment, Travel: Everywhere!
BigBIgFan

Postby deansaliba » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:16 am

Well it came from the CEO's mouth: http://allthingsd.com/20130128/sales-ta ... huts-down/ :)
deansaliba

Postby Vash » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 am

Of course I don't expect to get paid for the money they still owe me, because it hasn't reached minimal payout amount yet for the next pay day. I have just switched out all their ads running on my web site. Because if I do not do it it will be obviously wasting impression for nothing.

Just one less option for me to use all size of ads as well as fill the inventory with different ads. Other ad networks I am in have limited use... some of them do not allow their ads to be on forum page, and some of them do not allow ads to be anywhere other than above the fold.

I do not believe Adsense will absorb this part of market share held by Adbrite. Adbrite isn't that big during their last moments, and many people choose adbrite because they couldn't use Adsense one way or another. Other ad networks especially CPM based networks will take the customers.
Vash

Postby etc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:54 pm

Will you guys be paid even when you didn't reach the threshold?
I'm justnasking if they wouldnsince as far as I know I do have around $35 in my adbrite account. If they'd send it to my paypal account, I'd be thankful :D
etc

Postby deansaliba » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:38 pm

I have a feeling some might get paid but these might be the more influential publishers, the ones below the payout minimum can pretty much forget it.
deansaliba

Postby Hardison » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:10 pm

Wow! I don't use Adbrite, but I know that they are pretty big players. This is very surprising. I hope that everyone will be able to get what they are owed.
"Talking ain't doing." --Zoe Washburne from Serenity
Hardison

Postby deansaliba » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Hardison wrote:Wow! I don't use Adbrite, but I know that they are pretty big players. This is very surprising. I hope that everyone will be able to get what they are owed.

I was rather shocked to discover that they only employ 26 staff in total, I was expecting more from a company who generated millions of Dollars.
deansaliba

Next

Return to Lead Generation